Tuesday, September 10, 2013

How I got here: The journey has begun

I want to share with you all on how I got here in the first place. I would like to thank Jesse Pierce on this one. First met him at DACC's production of Promises Promises, sitting outside with a bottle of wine in one hand and a cigarette in the other after one of the showings. "We're going to be doing RENT", he said. My eyes widened and my jaw dropped. I did not hesitate one bit to say how much I would love to play violin in the production of RENT. "There are no strings, its all rock music." I kind of died a little at this point... "You should audition for it." Jesse's words captured me. My attention was immediately brought to fear, self-doubt, and insecurity... "I COULD not and WOULD not audition for a musical", I told myself. It wasn't me, it wasn't who I was... Jesse definitely made an impact in the 30 minutes that we were conversing. Going from one thought to eventually unraveling my whole life of musical experiences- I left that night wondering and questioning. I think, from the time Jesse told me I should audition, to the time I found out about the audition date, I have probably asked myself 100 times whether or not I should audition for it... My declaration was pretty obvious haha :)

Here we are, audition day has arrived. My mind worn out from preparing myself mentally. Nerves tense, posture straight, deep breaths, on time, lots of water, "Still thirsty... Parched...", pretending it's a violin solo/ensemble contest, I'm in my room practicing, NO it's the audition, keeping calm, "What's the time? Well it's gotta be close to" 3 o'clock!?... It was finally time for our audition... I did not know what was in store for me and the others. I did not think of "Community" at this time. As a musician I was use to being alone in my room practicing and then playing for judges by myself, and certainly did not want to be the weakest link. These thoughts provoked me after the audition. I could not explain what haunted me as I drove home. A wall that could not be broken. What was it?

First day of... "rehearsal". I brought my thoughts with me. Devotion Matt, be on time Matt, first impressions Matt, introduce yourself Matt, why aren't you introducing yourself Matt?! Nope not going to be on time Matt, call Suzy because you're at the wrong place Matt, Matt why didn't you remember the address for the first rehearsal?... Arrived, not on time and not at all worried. People moving crap everywhere and my thoughts still with me. That wall was breaking though. I immediately sprung into the abyss of upstage! "There, walked a..." bunch of people that I knew! Relieved... I was thrilled! I was among cast and crew and most importantly, friends. I was told what to do, what to move, what to clean, what to cut up, what to pile up, and what to shove in the room next door... Never did I have the mindset that this was exhausting or not fun or boring or too much work. I was not mad. I was actually much obliged. I heard the word "Community". And that wall came tumbling down. I thought about this the wrong way this whole time... This wasn't about me or any certain other, rather it being a group, helping one another, and doing it as a community.

The reason I was so captivated by the thought of auditioning for RENT, was that it was my favorite movie when I was younger. Surely, yes, the song Seasons Of Love has stuck with me since I first heard it, as well as many other songs from RENT. I really didn't know what meaning it portrayed though. Despite, I never knew that there was a musical of it either... From the time Jesse told me to audition, to the time I knew about the audition date, guess what I discovered? It wasn't just the musical. It was life, reality, hope, creation, wow, yeah, confusion... "Hot, sweat, sweet..." I wanted to be a part of this all along and deep down I knew it. The fear, the insecurity, the self-doubt was the wall. Sure I have some new fears, but just being a part of this musical has changed me in so many ways already. One thing people need to understand about me, is that my soul has been tempered. Fighting all my life, fearing, worrying, and even being alone many times. Being hurt mentally and physically by people that I loved and cared about. Wondering what tomorrow will bring. "Will I wake tomorrow from this nightmare?" I would just like you all to understand that, but I will find things that will make me happy, hopeful, and stronger from now on. Doing this, provides all of that...

Well, our journey has only begun. Let's all build as a community and make the most of this. As I watch us all grow from each rehearsal, I know in the end there will be no regrets. Measure your life in love. And remember, we don't buy love we rent it.

5 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. A couple night before the rehearsal I wondered to myself if I should bother auditioning...when the thought struck me it made me really sad...and I thought about it through the next day. Before we went to bed, I asked Michelle if I should do it...she told me to go for it...whatever happens happens...but that I shouldn't walk away from opportunity before I've opened the door to it...that even if I didn't get a part, that they'd know my face and know another part for something else I'd be better suited for. So, with the encouragement, I walked through the doors. I watched the people walk in, one by one after me (I was the first one there), not knowing anyone and watching everyone mingle with people they've probably known their whole lives...I was on the inside looking out at everyone else. So you weren't the only one who had that wall of doubt and criticism. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This means tons and tons, Mac! Thank you for sharing this. It makes me feel even more secured. I think when times are hard, people forget that they aren't the only ones who go through troubles. I'm also truly touched by your story thus far, and willing to take such a big leap "over the moon", taking a big leap of faith to come here and start a new. I'm glad that our paths crossed. Lots of hugs!

      Delete
  2. As am I. Your post touched close to home and I was compelled to respond in kind. You're right though, when your head is troubled...even over simple things...it is hard to discern that you're not really alone and tend to shy away from people on the assumption that you have to take care of it on your own...when in reality if you just said something to someone, you'd find they understood in the least, if not going through something similar themselves. Loads and heaps of hugs! (I love hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree with you more. I am still a little on the outside looking in. I really don't know anyone in the cast save for a few. Open up the heart and receive the love.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goosebump moment on a NON REHEARSAL DAY! Matt...Your blog, ROCKS!! And moved me.

    We are thrilled you are part of this COMMUNITY!!!!

    Go Get Em!

    ReplyDelete